Ribs, Ribs, Ribs. I used to like ribs but I hated the fact that they were so much work. Who would have thought that a Vegan alternative is actually easier to make, tastes better, eat, and is much better for you, the planet and obviously the animals? Step in Tempeh. So, what the hell is tempeh? Tempeh is made from cooked and slightly fermented soybeans and formed into a patty, sounds delicious right? Well on its own, no, it is not tasty, you need to think of it, like most soy products, Tofu etc. as a canvas, one that can soak up some serious flavours and hold up well to stirring and cooking.
Enough of the explaining what it is and on to how you can make some seriously tasty “Ribs” for your next party!! or Tuesday breakfast, I am not here to judge!
Firecracker ribs! (not for the faint hearted)
1 Block of Tempeh (400g for this recipe)
5 Tbsp Soft dark brown sugar,
3 Tbsp light soy sauce,
6 Tbsp tomato Ketchup,
1/2 tsp Cumin,
1 Tsp Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg,
2 Tbsp Veg stir fry sauce,
1 Tsp Paprika,
1 Tsp Garlic granules,
3 Tbsp Sriracha hot chilli sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar.
- Add sugar, soy sauce, stir fry sauce and ketchup to a pot. Heat until sugar is melted through the other liquids, approx 3 min on med heat.
- Stir in the remaining dry spices and mix well keeping on heat. stir through for 2 min more.
- Add the Sriracha and apple cider vinegar and heat through stirring all the time (take in that nostril burning smell too) .
- Chop the tempeh in half (length ways) and then in to 3/4″ wide “ribs”. You can also puncture the ribs with a fork to allow even more of the flavour in, just don’t go all Ted Bundy on them and you’ll be fine!
- Add the “ribs” to the pot and coat thoroughly in the Fire cracker sauce.
- Spoon out the “ribs” into a storage container and any extra sauce from the pot. Cover and leave to marinade overnight to absorb the spiciness! The longer the better.
- To cook, remove from the fridge and place in a non stick pan, the smaller the better to keep the ribs covered in sauce while cooking. Cover with foil and place on middle shelf at 180 Deg C for 35 – 40 min.
As these are “Ribs” I suggest serving with a cold beer! just get in there with your fingers. It gives you a good reason to suck your fingers when your finished!! These are quite filling too so you will want to share them, good excuse to have friends around.
Now for the second way… This is going to be posted to our Facebook page here so keep your eyes peeled!
All images and recipes © of Feoil Free Family 2016.
If you like what you see why not send us a cup of coffee, it’ll help with the cost of maintaining the site. BTC 32VfYx4djyaaaCXcLvLGG1mBCrid7YYyTw