One of the things missing from weekend breakfast was the runny egg yolk, or dip dips as the kids called them when they were younger. I had tried quite a few different recipes to get me close to the consistency of an egg yolk. They always seemed to be missing the sticky, gooeyness of a soft fried or soft boiled egg. Turned out that the missing ingredient was agar, this gelatine type substance is made from sea weed, it is a perfect substitute when gelatine is called for.
Now, I have seen people go to great lengths to replicate the white of the egg, cut a hole in the substitute to place the “yolk” into, to give the look of the sunny-side up egg. Well let me tell you, for the feoil free family, this is far too much effort. Most weekends are fully scheduled with activities and things to do. So we have no time and lets be honest, all we actually want is the yolk for dipping the soldiers into! So save the hassle of all that and Get your dip on!
Time: 5 – 10 min
Yeild: 5 – 6 Large Mad Yolks!
3 tbsp instant mashed potatoes, ( I used tesco value )
220 ml Hot water,
2 tbsp nutritional yeast,
1 tsp turmeric,
1/2 tsp paprika,
1/2 tsp Black salt,
1 tbsp agar agar,
1 1/2 tsp vegan spread, ( I used flora dairy free)
1 – 2 tbsp neutral oil, (I used sunflower)
- Add 3 heaped tbsp instant mash to a pot (a small milk pot will do),
- Combine agar agar with boiling water and dissolve fully, Add to pot along with the spread and whisk well. ( The more whisking the smoother the “Yolk”)
- Once all the spread is melted add in all the dry spices and the spread, continue to whisk,
- The mix will seem to be a bit pasty, now add the oil 1 tsp at a time and whisk well. Add until you have a smooth shiny finish.
- Make use of your old egg cups and scoop your “Mad Yolks” into the cups.
Serve with your favourite sausages, some oven roasted garlic baby button mushrooms, Asparagus, Pan blackened tomato and a whole legion of soldiers!
Oh, don’t forget your fresh ground black pepper!
All images and recipes © of Feoil Free Family 2016.
If you like what you see why not send us a cup of coffee, it’ll help with the cost of maintaining the site. BTC 32VfYx4djyaaaCXcLvLGG1mBCrid7YYyTw