One of the dishes I used to cook with regularity was a 4 cheese sauce served with pasta, typically fusilli or penne. However our love of this cheesy sauce typically required about 30 min to an hour of a cheese coma.
As of about two months ago Vegans are no longer allowed to call plant based cheeses, cheese, so now people are calling them Gary (after the Vegan community online decided to take a rant by someone in the best possible way). This rich, creamy sauce is best served fresh and because there is no moo juice in there this Gary 4 way sits light on the stomach and is obviously suitable for lactose intolerant folks too. This recipe is super simple and can be made in about 12 – 15 mins.
I will add some photos shortly, don’t have access at present. thanks and enjoy!
500g Fusilli or Penne pasta ( dry weight),
100ml or about 1/2 cup olive oil,
4 tbsp plain flour,
1 tsp garlic powder,
1 200g carton of Oatley creme fraiche (any other brand will do also),
1/2 carton of Violife creamy (Gary) or Scheese cheddar style creamy,
1/2 Block of Sheese strong cheddar,
1/2 Block of Violife pizza (Gary)
1 Liter of plant milk, I used soy but any creamy type would do, Oat, rice etc. (I don’t think coconut would work too well as its flavour might effect the finished dish)
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper,
Sea salt to taste.
- Put your pasta and cook al dente, you will want some bite to it.
- Add oil and flour in a large saute pan, on a med – high heat combine until you get a thick paste.
- Add 1/4 of the milk and stir in, as the sauce thickens add another 1/4 of the milk and the garlic powder and pepper. Once thickened up again add the remaining milk and heat through.
- Add the cerem fraiche and let melt into the sauce.
- Scoop in the soft Gary and let melt into the sauce.
- Add the grated strong cheddar and pizza Gary and allow melt, stirring all the time.
- Once the pasta is finished drain and add to the pan and stir in gently.
I love to serve this with some oven roast baby plum tomatoes, just add some olive oil, salt and pepper and pop inthe oven at about 80 Deg C for 12 min. when finished place on top of the Gary 4 way. The acid from the tomato cuts through the cheezyness and really brings the whole dish together. You can also add some garlic bread for mopping up all the extra sauce.
All images and recipes © of Feoil Free Family 2016.
If you like what you see why not send us a cup of coffee, it’ll help with the cost of maintaining the site. BTC 32VfYx4djyaaaCXcLvLGG1mBCrid7YYyTw